James Gibbs  
James Gibbs

James Gibbs, with a ghostly view of his Radcliffe Camera, ca 1750 by Andrea Soldi
James Gibbs, (born Dec. 23, 1682, Footdeesmire, Aberdeenshire, Scot.—died Aug. 5, 1754, London), Scottish architect whose synthesis of Italian and English modes, exemplified in his church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, London, set a standard for 18th-century British and American church architecture.

Gibbs studied in Rome with Carlo Fontana, a leading exponent of the Italian Baroque style. His Roman experience gave him a decisive edge over competitors on his return to England in 1709. Gibbs’s first public building, the church of St. Mary-le-Strand (1714–17), shows most directly his Italian Baroque influence. He soon became the foremost Tory architect. Private houses that he built, or in which he had a hand, number at least 50. After the 1720s the Baroque influence in his works declined, influenced by the aggressive Palladianism of Lord Burlington and the concurrent shift in public taste toward the classical.

The North block, St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London.


Gibbs’s mature style represents a highly proficient synthesis of both Baroque and Palladian sources. His best-known work, St. Martin-in-the-Fields (designed 1720), with its lofty steeple and classical temple front, clearly demonstrates the intermingling of influences. Though criticized in its time—the French admired the portico and despised the steeple—St. Martin’s became the archetype of countless British and American churches. Gibbs’s other best-known buildings are the Senate House at Cambridge (1722–30) and the Radcliffe Camera (also called the Radcliffe Library) at Oxford (1737–49). His major written work, A Book of Architecture (1728), was the most widely used architectural pattern book in Britain and its colonies during the 18th century.

Encyclopædia Britannica


West front, St. Mary le Strand

East front, St. Mary le Strand

West front, St. Martin-in-the-Fields

St Martin-in-the-Fields, London, is the prototype of many New England churches.

East front, St. Martin-in-the-Fields

Fellows' Building, King's College, Cambridge

The Senate House, Cambridge University

East front, Fellows' Building, King's College Cambridge

The Radcliffe Camera, Oxford

Radcliffe Camera, Oxford University

St. Mary, Patshull.

Front view of Ditchley House

Antony House, Torpoint

Eastern Boycott Pavilion, 1728, Stowe House, dome altered, it used to have a spire like the Turner Mausoleum

Gothic Temple, 1748, Stowe House

Houghton Hall, showing two of Gibbs's domes

Bank Hall, Warrington

Orleans House at Twickenham - Hand-coloured lithograph

Alexander Pope's Villa, Twickenham, additions, 1719–20


nt color="#FFFFFF" face="Verdana" size="2"> NEXT