TIMELINE OF WORLD HISTORY
 

Loading
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
     
     
  Baroque & Rococo

Baroque
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6

Rococo
7 - 8 - 9
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CONTENTS
  BACK NEXT    
 
 
 
     
 
 
Rococo
 
 
 
PAINTING
Jean-Antoine Watteau
Nicolas Lancret
Francois Boucher
Jean-Honore Fragonard
Jean-Baptiste-Simeon Chardin
Marie-Louise-Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun
William Hogarth
Allan Ramsay
Thomas Gainsborough
Joshua Reynolds
Giovanni Battista Tiepolo
Corrado Giaquinto
Canaletto
Bernardo Bellotto (Canaletto)
Giovanni Battista Piranesi
Pompeo Batoni
Francesco Guardi
Christophe-Gabriel Allegrain

Jean Baptiste Greuze
Allan Ramsay
George Stubbs
ARCHITECTURE AND SCULPTURE
Nicolas Pineau
Clodion (Claude Michel)
Jean-Baptiste Pigalle

Ange-Jacques Gabriel
Germain Boffrand
Jacques-Germain Soufflot
Etienne-Maurice Falconet
Louis Francois Roubiliac
John Wood the Elder
Johann Fischer von Erlach
Jakob Prandtauer
Balthasar Neumann
Dominikus Zimmermann
Johann Michael Fischer
Georg Rafael Donner
Franz Xavier Messerschmidt
Luigi Vanvitelli
Carlo Fontana
Giacomo Serpotta
Francesco Maria Schiaffino
Jean-Baptiste Oudry

William Kent
 
 
 
ARCHITECTURE AND SCULPTURE
 
 
 
GERMANY AND AUSTRIA

Rococo was a refinement in miniature of the curvilinear, "elastic" Baroque of Borromini and Guarini, and thus could be happily united with architecture in Central Europe, where the Italian style had taken firm root. It is not surprising that the Italian style received such a warm response there. In Austria and southern Germany, ravaged by the Thirty Years' War, the number of new buildings remained small until near the end of the seventeenth century. Baroque was an imported style, practiced mainly by visiting Italians. Not until the 1690s did native designers come to the fore. There followed a period of intense activity that lasted more than 50 years and gave rise to some of the most imaginative creations in the history of architecture. These monuments were erected for the glorification of princes and prelates who, generally speaking, deserve to be remembered only as lavish patrons of the arts. Rococo architecture in Central Europe is larger in scale and more exuberant than in France. Moreover, painting and sculpture are more closely linked with their settings. Palaces and churches are decorated with ceiling frescoes and decorative sculpture unsuited to domestic interiors, however lavish, although they reflect the same taste that produced the Hotel de Varengeville.


Johann Fischer von Erlach

The Austrian Johann Fischer von Erlach (1656-1723), the first great architect of the Rococo in Central Europe, is a transitional figure linked most directly to the Italian tradition. His design for the church of St. Charles Borromaeus in Vienna combines the facade of Borromini's S. Agnese and the Pantheon portico. Here a pair of huge columns derived from the Column of Trajan substitutes for facade towers, which have become corner pavilions reminiscent of those on the Louvre court. With these inflexible elements of Roman Imperial art embedded into the elastic curvatures of his church, Fischer von Erlach expresses, more boldly than any Italian Baroque architect, the power of the Christian faith to absorb and transfigure the splendors of antiquity.

Johann Fischer von Erlach

Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, (baptized July 20, 1656, Graz, Austria—died April 5, 1723, Vienna), Austrian architect, sculptor, and architectural historian whose Baroque style, a synthesis of classical, Renaissance, and southern Baroque elements, shaped the tastes of the Habsburg empire. Fischer’s works include the Dreifaltigkeitskirche (1694–1702) and the Kollegienkirche (1696–1707), both in Salzburg, and the Winter Palace of Prince Eugene of Savoy (1695–1711) in Vienna. His Entwurf einer historischen Architektur (1721; A Plan of Civil and Historical Architecture) was the first successful comparative study of architecture.

Early career in Italy and Austria.
The son of a provincial sculptor and turner, Fischer was trained in his father’s workshop. He went to Rome at about age 16 and had the good fortune to enter the studio of the great Baroque sculptor and architect Gian Lorenzo Bernini. In Rome he acquired considerable knowledge of ancient art and of the scientific methods then beginning to be used in archaeology—methods that formed the basis for his own later archaeological reconstructions. He also studied ancient Roman, Renaissance, and Baroque art and architecture. About 1684 he went to Naples, then under Spanish rule, probably in the service of the Spanish viceroy. He is reported to have been ambitious and even to have acquired considerable wealth.

After some 16 successful years in Italy, Fischer returned to his homeland at an opportune time; after the imperial victories over the Turks, the Habsburg empire was emerging as a great European power, and the Holy Roman emperor Leopold I wished to emulate King Louis XIV of France by representing his power as an absolute monarch visibly in magnificent buildings. The aristocracy followed his example by erecting splendid palaces, and the Roman Catholic clergy, too, wanted to glorify, in ecclesiastical architecture, the victory over the infidel as well as that over the Protestant Reformation. Moreover, the Turks had destroyed many country seats of the aristocracy and had severely damaged the suburbs of Vienna during the siege of 1683. The need for new buildings as well as the quick economic recovery following the victories brought about a great increase in building and a resultant flowering of art and architecture.

In 1687 Fischer embarked on a brilliant career as court architect to three successive emperors, Leopold I, Joseph I, and Charles VI, and also designed buildings for the aristocracy and the archbishop of Salzburg. In 1689 Leopold I appointed him to teach his elder son, Joseph, perspective and the theory and history of architecture. In 1690 Fischer won public recognition with two temporary triumphal arches erected in Vienna to celebrate Joseph’s entry into the city after his coronation in Frankfurt am Main as king and future ruler of the Holy Roman Empire. During the next 10 years, Fischer was much sought after as an architect in Vienna and Salzburg and in the Habsburg lands. In 1693 alone he was commissioned to design 14 important buildings.

During these years he created a new type of country house, combining the most important achievements in suburban architecture since the 16th century. He united the ideas of the French Baroque country palace made up of many joined pavilions with that of the classically inspired Renaissance villa, typical of Andrea Palladio, surrounded by low detached wings. By using the powerful curving forms of the Roman Baroque architects, especially Bernini, he gave his villas a more dynamic form. One of their outstanding features is the spacious oval hall in the centre of the plan, as in Schloss Neuwaldegg (1692–97), near Vienna, and in Schloss Engelhartstetten (c. 1693), in Lower Austria. Fischer’s country house designs had a decisive influence on the architects of his time. In a similar synthesis of Roman and French Baroque seasoned with Palladian elements, he also created a new type of town palace characterized by impressive form, structural clarity, and the dynamic tension of its decoration. The Winter Palace of Prince Eugene of Savoy, begun in 1695, and the palace of the ban of Croatia, Count Batthyány (1699–1706), both in Vienna, are notable examples of this type.

As architect to Johann Ernst, Count von Thun, the archbishop of Salzburg, Fischer displayed his talent in church architecture and town planning. The domes and towers of his churches changed the whole appearance of Salzburg. In their exquisitely proportioned, lofty interiors he tried to achieve a balance between the longitudinal and central schemes, a problem all great church architects had been faced with since Michelangelo’s projects for St. Peter’s in Rome. All of Fischer’s churches have two-towered facades accented by dynamic curves and elegant decoration, but each has its own special quality, determined by its location and by its particular function, as attached to a seminary, a university, or a nunnery. The elegant concave facade of the Dreifaltigkeitskirche (Church of the Holy Trinity), for example, contrasts to and heightens the effect of the sober front of the adjoining seminary buildings. The almost geometric forms of the Kollegienkirche (University Church) surmounted by the undulating forms of its towers crown the university complex, providing a new architectural and symbolic accent to a city dominated by its massive cathedral, as Salzburg had been. Fischer also designed a new facade for the archbishop’s stables and laid out a square in front of it. He changed an old quarry into a summer riding school and built the archbishop’s summer residence, Schloss Klesheim (1700–09), outside Salzburg.

Foreign travels and change of style.
At the turn of the 18th century, Fischer was at the height of his career. In a visible sign of his success as a court architect, he was raised to the nobility in 1696. The imperial alliance with Prussia, Holland, and England during the War of the Spanish Succession enabled Fischer, in 1704, to visit those countries and to study their architecture, particularly in relation to Palladio. The result was a remarkable change in his architectural style. In 1707 he went to Venice to study Palladian architecture at its source. The result was his development of a new type of “Palladian” palace facade, classical in its proportions but enlivened with richly sculptured decoration. It consists of a central projection accentuated by a giant order and surmounted by a triangular pediment and of relatively unarticulated lateral sections. Its models were English and North German Baroque interpretations of Palladian architecture as well as the works of Palladio himself and of his Italian followers. Fischer’s major achievements in this field are the facades of the Bohemian Chancellery (1708–14) and Trautson Palace (1710–16), both in Vienna, and of the Clam-Gallas Palace (begun 1713), in Prague, which were imitated by architects all over the Habsburg empire.

During the first 10 years of the 18th century, however, Fischer designed fewer buildings than in the years before. His time was taken up by his administrative duties as chief inspector of court buildings and his work on a great history of architecture, Entwurf einer historischen Architektur. His book, which reveals the wide range of his learning, was the first comparative history of the architecture of all times and all nations; it included significant specimens of Egyptian, Persian, Greek, Roman, Muslim, Indian, and Chinese architecture, illustrated by engravings with explanatory notes. Some of the archaeological reconstructions that appeared in the book were among the best of Fischer’s time. At the end of the historical survey he placed his own achievements, which he saw as a logical continuation of the Roman tradition of architecture. The book was published in 1721.

Final projects.
When his second imperial patron, Joseph I, died in 1711, Fischer’s position as the principal architect at the Viennese court was no longer uncontested. Many preferred the more pleasing and less demanding architecture of his rival Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt to Fischer’s lofty conceptions. Yet he was also able to gain the favour of Charles VI, to whom he dedicated his history of architecture in manuscript in 1712, and to obtain the commission for the building of the Karlskirche (Church of St. Charles Borromeo; begun 1715).

Charles had vowed to build the Karlskirche as an offering to his patron saint for the city’s deliverance from an epidemic of the plague. In its imperial grandeur the building Fischer conceived not only glorified St. Charles but was also a monument to the emperor himself. In this church he attempted to incorporate and harmonize the main ideas contained in the most important sacred buildings of past and present, beginning with the Temple of Jerusalem and including the Pantheon and St. Peter’s in Rome, the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, and also the Dôme des Invalides in Paris and St. Paul’s in London. The relatively independent parts of the building—a pair of Roman triumphal columns, low towers, a high oval dome, a central portico modeled after a Roman temple facade, a transept and presbytery—are harmonized to form a visual unity from whatever point they are seen. The complex formal and symbolic structure of the building is the result of its twofold function. For example, the most striking feature of the church—the pair of giant triumphal columns on either side of the portico—is decorated with spiral reliefs glorifying the life of St. Charles. The pair of columns, however, also alludes to the emperor’s emblem, the “pillars of Hercules.”

Fischer did not live to see his masterpiece completed, but his son Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach completed the church with some alterations. Joseph Emanuel also completed the Imperial Stables (1719–23) and built, according to his father’s designs, the Imperial Library (designed 1716, built 1723–37), the interior of which was the most imposing library hall of its time.

Assessment.
In a highly idealistic formal synthesis, Fischer tried to combine the achievements of past and present, mixing forms from ancient Roman, Renaissance, Italian Baroque, and French Baroque architecture to find a new and unique solution for each architectural problem. The leading principle of his building was the integration of various plastically conceived elements, complete in themselves, by dynamic contrast.

Hans Aurenhammer

Encyclopædia Britannica

 


Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna, 1695



Schonbrunn Palace, Vienna, 1695



Kollegienkirche in Salzburg (1696-1707)



Palais Lobkowitz



Jakob Prandtauer

Even more monumental, thanks to its superb site, is the Monastery of Melk by Jakob Prandtauer (1660-1726). The buildings form a tightly knit unit that centers on the church. It occupies the crest of a promontory above the Danube, rising from the rock, not like a fortress but like a vision of heavenly glory. The interior of the church still reflects the plan of Il Gesu, but the abundant illumination, the play of curves and countercurves, and the weightless grace of the stucco sculpture give it an airy lightness far removed from the Roman Baroque. The vaults and wall surfaces seem thin and pliable, like membranes easily punctured by the expansive power of space.



Jakob Prandtauer. Monastery Church, Melk, Austria. Begun 1702



Jakob Prandtauer, Beduzzi, and Munggenast. Interior, Monastery Church, Melk. Completed ñ. 1738

Jakob Prandtauer (baptized in Stanz bei Landeck (Tyrol) on July 16, 1660; died in Sankt Pölten on September 16, 1726) was an Austrian Baroque architect. Trained as a stonemason rather than as an architect, he designed and supervised the construction of the church of Melk Abbey, in Melk, Lower Austria. He was the uncle of Josef Munggenast, who inherited his business and continued his style.


Balthasar Neumann

The architects of the next generation favored a tendency toward lightness and elegance. The Episcopal Palace in Wiirzburg by Balthasar Neumann (1687-1753) includes the breathtaking Kaisersaal, a great oval hall decorated in the favorite color scheme of the mid-eighteenth century: white, gold, and pastel shades. The number and aesthetic role of structural members such as columns, pilasters, and architraves are now minimized. Windows and vault segments are framed by-continuous, ribbonlike moldings, and the white surfaces are spun over with irregular ornamental designs. This repertory of lacy, curling motifs, the hallmark of the French style, is happily combined with German Rococo architecture.
 


Balthasar Neumann.
The Kaisersaal, Residenz, Wurzburg. 1719-44.
Frescoes by CIOVANNI BATTISTA TIEPOLLO, 1751

 

Balthasar Neumann

Balthasar Neumann, in full Johann Balthasar Neumann (born 1687, Eger, Bohemia, Austrian Habsburg domain [now Cheb, Czech Republic]—died Aug. 19, 1753, Würzburg [Germany]), German architect who was the foremost master of the late Baroque style.

Neumann was apprenticed to a bell-founder and in 1711 emigrated to Würzburg, where he gained the patronage of that city’s ruling prince-bishop, a member of the Schönborn family, after working on military fortifications. In 1719 Neumann began directing construction of the first stage of the new Residenz (palace) for the prince-bishop in Würzburg, and he was soon entrusted with the planning and design of the entire structure. Work on the Residenz continued at intervals after Neumann’s own death in 1753, though by the 1740s it had advanced far enough for the painter G.B. Tiepolo to decorate the palace’s enormous ceilings.

Neumann began designing other buildings as well, starting in the 1720s with the Schönborn Chapel (1721–36) in Würzburg Cathedral, the priory church at Holzkirchen (1726–30) outside Würzburg, and the abbey church at Münsterschwarzach (1727–43). He did buildings for other members of the Schönborn family and was eventually put in charge of all major building projects in Würzburg and Bamberg, including palaces, public buildings, bridges, a water system, and more than a dozen churches. Neumann designed numerous palaces for the Schönborns, including those for the prince-bishops at Bruchsal (1728–50) and Werneck (c. 1733–45). In the 1740s he designed his masterpiece, the pilgrimage church at Vierzehnheiligen (1743–53), as well as the pilgrimage church known as the Käppele (1740–52) near Würzburg and the abbey church at Neresheim (1747–53).

Neumann showed himself a great master of composition in the interiors of his churches and palaces. The walls and columns in his buildings are diminished, disguised, or opened up to create startling and often playful effects while nevertheless retaining a sense of symmetry and harmony. Neumann made ingenious use of domes and barrel vaults to create sequences of round and oval spaces whose light, airy elegance is highlighted by the daylight streaming in through huge windows. The free and lively interplay of these elements is accented by a lavish use of decorative plasterwork, gilding, and statuary and by wall and ceiling murals.

Encyclopædia Britannica



Interior of the Basilica of the Fourteen Holy Helpers
 



Neumann's Wurzburg Residence and the beginnings of its Court Gardens.



 

Dominikus Zimmermann

A contemporary of Balthasar Neumann, Dominikus Zimmermann (1685-1766), created what may be the finest spatial design of the mid-eighteenth century, the Bavarian pilgrimage church nicknamed "Die Wies". The exterior is so plain that its interior richness seems truly overwhelming. Like the Kaisersaal, its shape is oval, but since the ceiling rests on paired, free-standing supports, the spatial configuration is more fluid and complex. As a result, we are reminded of a German Gothic Hallenkirche, despite the playful Rococo decor. Guarini's prophetic revaluation of Gothic architecture has here become reality.



Pilgrimage Church in Steinhausen






The Wieskirche from outside



 


Dominikus Zimmermann. Interior, Die Wies, Upper Bavaria. 1745-54
Plan of Die Wies

 

Dominikus Zimmermann

Dominikus Zimmermann, (born June 30, 1685, Gaispoint, near Wessobrunn, Bavaria [Germany]—died Nov. 16, 1766, Wies), Bavarian Baroque architect and stuccoist whose church at Wies (now in Baden-Württemberg) is considered one of the finest accomplishments of Baroque architecture.

Zimmermann was taught stucco work by Johann Schmutzer and initially worked as a stuccoist. His earliest independent building design is the Dominican convent church at Mödingen (1716–21), in which he was aided by his brother Johann Baptist Zimmermann (1680–1758), a notable Bavarian court stuccoist and a fresco painter.

A considerable portion of Zimmermann’s career was spent in the building of two Gesamtkunstwerke (“total art works”) for which he and his brother designed and executed nearly every aspect of construction and decoration. Both are pilgrimage churches. The first, in Steinhausen, was begun in 1727. The floor plan is an oval, with 10 slender, free-standing piers supporting a vault painted in exemplary style by Zimmermann’s brother. This structure has been regarded by some as the first truly Rococo church because of its light, airy structure and its delicately coloured, flowing, undulating decorations in coloured stucco and painted frescoes.

The second church, at Wies (1746–54), has a rather drab and demure exterior but an even richer interior. The plan is again oval, with eight piers supporting a sumptuous entablature and vault, decorated this time with unmistakably Rococo motifs and a delicate ceiling fresco by Johann Baptist. The interior is remarkable for the rich colour harmonies and the swirling, controlled movement of its decoration, which obliterates the previously clearly demarcated zones of pillar, capital, entablature, and vault.

Upon his retirement in 1752, Zimmermann chose the town of Wies as his home.

Encyclopædia Britannica

 
 
 
 

Johann Michael Fischer



A statue of Johann Michael Fischer in Burglengenfeld
commemorates his birthplace

 

Johann Michael Fischer, (born 1692, Burglengenfeld, Bavaria [Germany]—died May 6, 1766, Munich), German architect, one of the most creative and prolific designers of late Baroque and Rococo churches in southern Germany.

Fischer was trained by his father, a mason. As an apprentice in Bohemia and Moravia beginning in 1713, he became familiar with the churches of the Dientzenhofer family and returned to Munich in 1718 to become foreman of city architecture. One of his earliest independent projects was the renovation of the Premonstratensian abbey church of Osterhofen (1726–29). The major elements of Fischer’s churches are a centralized ground plan, with rounded-off interior angles, interconnecting spaces, and rhythmically undulating patches of lush decoration, the whole being brilliantly lit by large windows. His productivity was astounding; in 1735 alone he planned three outstanding churches—St. Michael’s in Berg-am-Laim, the pilgrimage church at Aufhausen, and the Augustinian church at Ingolstadt.

Fischer’s greatest work is generally considered to be the Benedictine abbey church at Ottobeuren (1748–55), a vast Rococo structure centred on three successive cupolas and lavishly—but elegantly—decorated with sculpture, stuccowork, and paint. The Benedictine abbey church of St. Marius and St. Arianus at Rott-am-Inn (1759–62) may be stylistically more significant, as its relative simplicity heralds the approach of Neoclassicism.

Encyclopædia Britannica

 


Basilika St. Alexander und Theodor der Benediktinerabtei Ottobeuren
1737-66

 
 
 

Exterior of Zwiefalten Abbey
 
 
 
 
Franz Xavier Messerschmidt

Franz Xaver Messerschmidt (February 6, 1736 – August 19, 1783) was a German-Austrian sculptor most famous for his "character heads", a collection of busts with faces contorted in extreme facial expressions.

Early years
Born in southwestern Germany, in the region of the Swabian alps, Messerschmidt grew up in the Munich home of his uncle, the sculptor Johann Baptist Straub, who became his first master. He spent two years in Graz, in the workshop of his other maternal uncle, the sculptor Philipp Jakob Straub. At the end of 1755 he matriculated at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna, and became a pupil of Jacob Schletterer. Graduated, he got work at the imperial arms collection. Here, in the building's salon in 1760-63 he made his first known works of art, the bronze busts of the imperial couple and reliefs representing the heir of the crown and his wife. With these works he joined the Late Baroque art of courtly representation, which was under the determining influence of Balthasar Ferdinand Moll. To this trend belong two other, larger than lifesize tin statues representing the imperial couple, commissioned by Maria Theresa of Austria and executed between 1764 and 1766. Besides some other portraits he also made works with a religious subject. A number of statues commissioned by the Princess of Savoy have survived as well.

Maturity
The Baroque period of his oeuvre ended in 1769 with a bust of the court physician Gerard van Swieten, commissioned by the Empress. At the same time his first early Neo-Classic works appeared, made—characteristically—for the Academy. To these and later works he applied many experiences gained in 1765 during a study trip to Rome. One of these early, severe heads from the years 1769-70, influenced by Roman republican portraits, represents the well-known doctor Franz Anton Mesmer. At about the same time, in 1770-72 Messerschmidt began to work on his so-called character heads, which it has been argued (notably by Ernst Kris) were connected with certain paranoid ideas and hallucinations from which, at the beginning of the seventies, the master began to suffer. Messerschmidt found himself increasingly at odds with his milieu. His situation worsened to such an extent, that in 1774, when he applied for the newly-vacant office of a leading professor at the Academy, where he had been teaching since 1769, instead of getting it he was expelled from teaching. In a letter to the Empress, Count Kaunitz praised Messerschmidt's abilities, but suggested that the nature of his illness (referred to as a "confusion in the head") would make such an appointment detrimental to the institution.

Later years
Embittered he left Vienna, moved to his native village, Wiesensteig, and from there in the same year, following an invitation, to Munich. Here he waited two years for a promised commission and for a permanent employment at the Court. In 1777 he went to Pressburg (now Bratislava) where his brother, Johann Adam worked as a sculptor. Here he spent the last six years of his life almost in retirement, on the outskirts of the town. He dedicated himself primarily to his character heads.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Franz Xavier Messerschmidt. Character Head

 
 
 
 
 
Carlo Fontana

Carlo Fontana, (born 1634/38, Bruciate, near Como, Milan—died 1714, Rome), Italian architect, engineer, and publisher whose prolific studio produced widely imitated designs for fountains, palaces, tombs, and altars, as well as the curved facade on the S. Marcello al Corso (1682–83). His many international students included M.D. Poppelmann of Germany, James Gibbs of England, Filippa Juvarra of Italy, Johann Lucas von Hildebrandt and Fischer von Erlach of Austria, and others.

Fontana worked for Gian Lorenzo Bernini on Sta. Maria dei Miracoli (1662–79) and finished Bernini’s Palazzo di Montecitorio (1650–94) (formerly the Palazzo Ludovisi), which had been started for the family of Innocent X. Fontana’s students continued the Bernini tradition into the 18th century.

Fontana’s other works are the church of S. Biagio in Campitelli (reassembled on Piazza Capizucchi; before 1665), SS. Apostoli (1702–08), the Casanatense Library (1708), the Cappella Sistina of Sta. Maria Maggiore, Cappella Ginetti in S. Andrea della Valle (1671), the Cappella Cibo in Sta. Maria del Popolo (1683–87), the Baptismal Chapel in St. Peter’s (1692–98), and the Cappella Albani in S. Sebastiano (1705). His tombs include those of Queen Christina of Sweden in St. Peter’s (1702), Clement XI, and Innocent XII. His largest ecclesiastical ensemble was the Jesuit church and college at Loyola, Spain (1681–1738), which influenced Spanish, Austrian, and south German architects.

After he was appointed surveyor of St. Peter’s, he published the Templum Vaticanus, with its many engravings (1694). Twenty-seven volumes of his manuscripts and drawings are now in the Royal Library at Windsor.

Encyclopædia Britannica


Carlo Fontana. San Marcello al Corso, Rome.


Luigi Vanvitelli

Luigi Vanvitelli, (born May 26, 1700, Naples, Spanish Habsburg domain [Italy]—died March 1, 1773, Caserta, near Naples), Italian architect whose enormous Royal Palace at Caserta (1752–74) was one of the last triumphs of the Italian Baroque.

Vanvitelli was trained by Niccolò Salvi and worked with him on lengthening the facade of Gian Lorenzo Bernini’s Palazzo Chigi (1664–1745, Rome). He completed several other buildings, including the Chiesa del Gésu (1743–45), before he began work on the Royal Palace. The palace, commissioned by the Spanish king of Naples as the summer residence of the Bourbons of Spain, was modelled after the imperial architecture of the palace of Versailles. The quadrilateral building at Caserta, enclosing four courtyards, has 1,200 rooms, a huge chapel, and a theatre. In addition to its celebrated staircase, which is the largest in Italy, the palace offers many magnificent vistas.

Vanvitelli also built the Lazzaretto and Arco Clementino for Pope Clement XII in Ancona; the Chiesa dell’Annunciata (1756/61–1782) in Naples, and the monastery of S. Agostino. He rebuilt Michelangelo’s S. Maria degli Angeli in Rome and contributed to other works in Milan, Siena, Pesaro, Macerato, Perugia, Loreto, and elsewhere. Besides designing secular buildings, he built the aqueduct Carolino (1752–64), 25 miles long, which supplies Naples with water.

Encyclopædia Britannica


Diana and Actaeon
c. 1770 (designed)
Marble, over life-size
Royal Residence, Caserta

 
 
 
 
Giacomo Serpotta

Giacomo Serpotta, (born March 10, 1656, Palermo [Sicily]—died Feb. 27, 1732, Palermo), the outstanding member of a family of Sicilian sculptors and stucco workers. His methods for creating the illusion of perspective and his asymmetrical arrangements of two or more independent decorations proved highly influential to German artists of the Rococo period.

In Palermo, Giacomo decorated the oratories of San Lorenzo (1690/98–1706), San Zita (1668–1718), and Rosario di San Domenico (1710–17), as well as the Palermo hospital chapel, the Archbishop’s Palace in Santa Chiara, and the Badia Nuova at Alcomo. His statues in San Francesco d’Assisi (1723) appear to be falling from air and not attached to the wall, even though all the figures, cupids, draperies, and garlands are on the same plane as the wall. He is credited with raising Sicilian stuccowork from a craft to an art.

Encyclopædia Britannica

 

 

Giacomo Serpotta. La Pace
Palermo, Oratorio di San Domenico
 
Giacomo Serpotta. Gesso Charity, Oratorio di San Lorenzo, Palermo
 
 
 
Francesco Maria Schiaffino

Francesco Maria Schiaffino (1688 – January 3, 1763) was an Italian sculptor of the Rococo or late-Baroque, mainly active in his native city of Genoa.

Born into a family of sculptors, including his older brother Bernardo Schiaffino. In 1721–24, he apprenticed in the Roman studio of Camillo Rusconi. Returning to Genoa, he executed such works as St Dominic for the Teatro Carlo Felice, and Pluto and Proserpine sculpted for the Palazzo Reale. In 1738 he designed the theatrical funeral monument to Caterina Fieschi Adorno for the church of Santissima Annunziata di Portoria, Genoa. In 1739, he also designed wax models of eight apostles and four doctors of the church (modelled after the apostle statues in the niches of San Giovanni in Laterano by Rusconi and others; these were used by Diego Francesco Carlone, to execute in stucco for the church of Santa Maria Assunta in Carignano. He had statues sent to the towns of Sestri, Camogli, and Albizzuola.




Francesco Maria Schiaffino. Immaculate Conception
1762
Marble
Palazzo Doria Lamba, Genoa

 
 
 

 
 
 
CONTENTS
  BACK NEXT