TIMELINE OF WORLD HISTORY
 

Loading
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
   
   
  Gothic Art

Architecture


1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 78910 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14

Sculpture and Stained Glass

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 78910 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16

Painting
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CONTENTS
  BACK NEXT    
 
 
   
 
 
 
Gothic Art
 
 
 
 
SCULPTURE

Beauneveu Andre
Sluter
Nicola Pisano
Giovanni Pisano
Andrea Pisano
Antelami Benedetto
Arnolfo di Camio
Lorenzo Maitani
Giovanni di Balduccio
Agostino di Giovanni
Tino di Camaino
Jacobello and Pierpaolo dalle Masegne
Lorenzo Chiberti
Jacopo della Quercia
 
 
 
 
The International Style in the North
 


SLUTER.

The climax of this new trend came about
1400, during the period of the International Style.

Its greatest exponent was Sluter Claus, a sculptor of Netherlandish origin working for the duke of Burgundy at Dijon. The portal of the Chartreuse de Champmol, which he did between 1385 and 1393, recalls the monumental statuary on thirteenth-century cathedral portals, but the figures have grown so large and expansive that they almost overpower their architectural framework. This effect is due not only to their size and the bold three-dimensionality of the carving, but also to the fact that the jamb statues (Duke Philip the Bold and his wife, accompanied by their patron saints) are turned toward the Madonna on the trumeau, so that the five figures form a single, coherent unit, like the Crucifixion group at Naumburg. In both instances, the sculptural composition has simply been superimposed, however skillfully, on the shape of the doorway, not developed from it as at Chartres, Notre-Dame, or Reims. Significantly enough, the Champmol portal did not pave the way for a revival of architectural sculpture. Instead, it remained an isolated effort.



CLAUS SLUTER. Portal of the Chartreuse de Champmol. Dijon. 1385-93. Stone



CLAUS SLUTER. Portal of the Chartreuse de Champmol. Virgin and Child





CLAUS SLUTER. Portal of the Chartreuse de Champmol. Dijon. 1385-93. Stone




CLAUS SLUTER. Portal of the Chartreuse de Champmol. Dijon. 1385-93. Stone
 

Sluter's other works belong to a different category, which for lack of a better term we must label church furniture (tombs, pulpits, and the like), which combine large-scale sculpture with a small-scale architectural setting. The most impressive of these is The Moses Well at the Chartreuse de Champmol, a symbolic well surrounded by statues of Old Testament prophets and once surmounted by a crucifix. The majestic Moses epitomizes the same qualities we find in Sluter's portal statues. Soft, lavishly draped garments envelop the heavy-set body like an ample shell, and the swelling forms seem to reach out into the surrounding space, determined to capture as much of it as possible (note the outward curve of the scroll).

In the Isaiah, lacing left in our illustration, these aspects of our artist's style are less pronounced. What strikes us, rather, is the precise and masterful realism of every detail, from the minutiae of the costume to the texture of the wrinkled skin. The head, unlike that of Moses, has all the individuality of a portrait. Nor is this impression deceiving, for the sculptural development that culminated in Claus Sluter produced, from about 1350 on, the first genuine portraits since late antiquity. And Sluter himself has left us two splendid examples in the heads of the duke and duchess on the Chartreuse portal. This attachment to the tangible and specific distinguishes his realism from that of the thirteenth century.


 




Bustof the Crucified Christ, ca. 1391
Limestone with traces of polychromy
H. 61cm; L 38 cm; W. 34 cm.
Museée Archeologique de la Ville de Dijon

 
Claus Sluter

Claus Sluter, Claus also spelled Claes or Klaas (born c. 1340,
Haarlem?, Holland [now in the Netherlands]—died between Sept. 24, 1405, and Jan. 30, 1406, Dijon, Burgundy [now in France]), influential master of early Netherlandish sculpture, who moved beyond the dominant French taste of the time and into highly individual monumental, naturalistic forms. The works of Claus Sluter infuse realism with spirituality and monumental grandeur. His influence was extensive among both painters and sculptors of 15th-century northern Europe.

Born in the mid-14th century, Sluter is known through his works rather than accounts of his person. He is thought to be the Claes de Slutere van Herlam (Haarlem) who was listed in the records of the stonemasons’ guild in Brussels about 1379. From ducal archives he is known to have entered in 1385 the service of Philip II the Bold, duke of Burgundy, who was ruler of the Netherlands and regent of France in the last decades of the century. Philip founded the Carthusian monastery of Champmol at Dijon in 1383 and made its chapel a dynastic mausoleum adorned with sculpture by Sluter.

All of the surviving sculpture known to be by Sluter was made for Philip. Two compositions are still to be found at the site of Champmol: the figures on the central pillar that divided the portal of the chapel show the duke and duchess presented by their patron saints John the Baptist and Catherine to the Virgin and Child; the “Well of Moses” in the cloister consists of the remains of a wellhead that had been surmounted by a group showing the Calvary of Christ. The other extant work is the duke’s own tomb, which once stood in the chapel at Champmol but which has been reassembled in the Museum of Fine Arts in Dijon.

The archives in Dijon provide some information on Sluter’s sculptural commissions. In 1389 he succeeded Jean de Marville as chief sculptor to the duke, and in that year he began carving the portal sculptures, which had been planned as early as 1386. He replaced the portal’s damaged central canopy and by 1391 had completed the statues of the Virgin and Child and the two saints. By 1393 the statue of the duchess was completed, and it is presumed that the duke’s statue also was finished by then. In 1395 he began the Calvary group for the cloister and in 1396 brought to Dijon his nephew Claus de Werve and sculptors from Brussels to assist in his numerous ducal commissions. The architectural portion of the duke’s tomb had been completed by 1389, but only two mourning figures of the sculptural composition were ready when the duke died in 1404. Philip’s son, Duke John the Fearless, contracted in 1404 for the completion of his father’s tomb within four years, but Sluter’s nephew did not finish it until 1410, and he used it as the model for Duke John’s own tomb. (Many of the mourning figures around the base are copies of what must be Sluter’s work, though the problem of establishing his exact contribution is difficult because the two tombs were disassembled in the French Revolution and extensively restored from 1818 to 1823.)

Sluter, an innovator in art, moved beyond the prevailing French taste for graceful figures, delicate and elegant movement, and fluid falls of drapery. In his handling of mass, he also moved beyond the concern with expressive volumes visible in the sculptures of André Beauneveu, an eminent contemporary who worked for Philip’s brother Jean, Duke de Berry. The grandeur of Sluter’s forms can only be paralleled in Flemish painting (by the van Eycks and Robert Campin) or in Italian sculpture (by Jacopo della Quercia and Donatello) several decades later.

The portal of the Champmol chapel is now somewhat damaged (the Virgin’s sceptre is missing, as are the angels, once the object of the child’s gaze, holding symbols of the Passion). This work, though begun by Marville, must have been redesigned by Sluter, who set the figures strongly before an architecture with which they seem intentionally not closely aligned, the doorway becoming a background for the adoring couple of Duke Philip and his wife. This transforms traditional portal design into a pictorial form in which architecture has become a foil, the framework for a figured triptych. Projecting canopies and jutting corbels carved with figures, deep undercuttings, and swirling draperies aid Sluter’s dynamic naturalism. This is a weighty, massive art of dominantly large, balanced forms.

The six-sided “Well of Moses,” now lacking its crowning Calvary group, which made the whole a symbol of the “fountain of life,” presents six life-sized prophets holding books, scrolls, or both. The figures, beginning with Moses, proceed counterclockwise to David, Jeremiah, Zechariah, Daniel, and Isaiah. Moses was placed directly below the face of Christ, and the location of Zechariah, father of John the Baptist, was at Jesus’ back, as befits a precursor. Zechariah looks down sadly as Daniel vigorously points to his prophecy. On the other side of Daniel, and serving to balance Daniel’s passionate temperament, is the calm reflective Isaiah. This juxtaposition reveals Sluter’s use of alternating naturalistic balances. The head and torso fragment of Christ from the Calvary reveal a power and intensity of restrained expression that conveys overwhelming grandeur. Suffering and resignation are mingled, a result of the way the brow is knitted, though the lower part of the face, narrow and emaciated, is calm and without muscular stress. The “Well of Moses” was originally painted in several colours by Jean Malouel, painter to the duke, and gilded by Hermann of Cologne. The figures of the composition dominate the architectural framework but also reinforce the feeling of support that the structure provides through their largeness of movement.

Sluter’s latest preserved work, the tomb of Philip the Bold, was first commissioned from Jean de Marville, who is responsible only for the arcaded gallery below the sepulchral slab of black marble from Dinant. Forty figures, each about 16 inches (41 cm) high and either designed or executed by Sluter, made up the mourning procession. Not all the figures are still in position at the tomb; three are lost, three are in the Cleveland Museum of Art, and one is in a French private collection. They served as models for Sluter’s nephew Claus de Werve, Juan de la Huerta, and other artists for sculptured tombs in France and beyond its borders. Sluter did not invent the mourning procession nor did he design the setting. But he conceived of the figures as pleurants (weepers), of whom no two are alike; some are openly expressing their sorrow, others are containing their grief, but all are robed in heavy wool, draping garments that occasionally veil a bowed head and face to convey a hidden mourning. Spiritualist and naturalist in one, Sluter epitomized in sculpture the growing awareness of an individualized nature with discoverable laws and an enduring grandeur.

Charles D. Cuttler

Encyclopædia Britannica

 



CLAUS SLUTER. The Moses Well. 1395-1406. Stone, height of figures с. 6' (1.8 m). Chartreuse de Champmol, Dijon



Well of Moses: Moses



Well of Moses: Prophets Daniel and Isaiah



Well of Moses: Prophets David and Jeremiah



Well of Moses: Zacharias. Detail from the Hexagonal Pedestal of the Well of Moses





Memorial to Philip the Bold
1389-1406
Stone
Charterhouse of Champmol, Dijon



Memorial to Philip the Bold: Tomb of Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy (detail)



Memorial to Philip the Bold: Tomb of Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy (detail)



Memorial to Philip the Bold: Tomb of Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy (detail)



Memorial to Philip the Bold: Tomb of Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy (detail)



Memorial to Philip the Bold: Tomb of Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy (detail)



Three Mourners
1390-1406
Alabaster, height 42 cm (each)
Museum of Art, Cleveland
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
CONTENTS
  BACK NEXT